Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Taking the Leap



















                                                           source

I'm going to start taking some time to answer questions about my business and personal life to give you a chance to get to know me better.

How did you make the decision to leave your full time job to go freelance?

Well, it wasn't something I jumped into lightly. For a few years now, I've had a desire to work for myself and do graphic design. For almost a year prior to leaving my full time job, I was building relationships with some small businesses and one local marketing firm. It was getting to the point where I would work 8 hours then come home and work 4 more hours on freelance projects. I was getting burned out and frustrated, and saw that maybe it was time to make a change. After a lot of prayerful consideration, countless conversations with my husband and a discussion with my employer - it was decided that I would go part-time at my job for 3 months then transfer out completely.

During that time I certainly had quitter's regret. I thought "what a bad economy to leave my job in," "I'm not good enough to do this on my own," and other self deprecating thoughts. I certainly do still think "what am I doing" at times, but I am mostly confident that I made the right decision and am following what I think is God's plan for my life.

While there are days where I have little to work on, there are also days where I can barely catch my breath. The past 6 months have been so great and only a little scary. It has been a big blessing to have more time to take care of our house, develop friendships and support my husband more fully.


No comments:

Post a Comment