Tuesday, October 16, 2012

A Weekend Away

Last weekend, Mike and I drove 3.5 hours north to a little cabin in the woods. The leaves were bright orange and red, it was chilly and rainy and we had an amazing time.

From the moment we got opened the doors to the cabin, the world slowed down. We unpacked the car and Mike went right to work starting a fire in the wood stove. Can I just tell you how much I loved having a fire inside? It made the entire cabin so warm and cozy. I spent most of the weekend curled up by that fire reading the Hunger Games' second book, "Catching Fire". Can you say addicting?!

On Friday night, we cooked dinner over the fire outside, and tried our hand at making baked potatoes in the hot coals. Let's just say that didn't work, and I ended up having a cheese sandwich for dinner. But anyone who knows me, probably knows, that was what I wanted anyway.

Saturday morning we woke up to a wet and chilly fall day. So we decided to go for a drive, and got rather lost on those back roads, none of which had road signs. The rest of our time in the woods was pretty uneventful. I sat by the fire and Mike went four wheeling. I was sad to forgo the four wheelers this year because of my ever-growing belly(remember, I'm preggo).

There was something beautiful about stepping away from our normally busy lives.

We didn't bring our computers. We didn't watch much tv. We weren't distracted. It was beautiful.





No comments:

Post a Comment